When you’re trying to lose weight, you may think that you’ll never be able to have another snack. The truth is, however, there are many healthy snacks you can eat to lose weight and feel great.
For any weight loss plan to be successful, you can’t feel like you’re being deprived. This means you can eat healthy snacks that make your diet work better for you rather than hindering it.
In your switchover to healthy snacks, it’s best to start by having a clean slate. Set aside a day to clean out your refrigerator and pantry to remove all non-healthy foods. This will accomplish two things:
- You’ll remove anything that may be a temptation for you when you’re having a weak moment.
- You’ll be able to make better choices, not only for yourself, but for the rest of your family as well.
What types of snacks can you eat that won’t derail your diet? You might be surprised at the variety of choices available:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables. Your healthiest snacks are going to be those that are as close to nature as possible. This means keeping fresh fruits and vegetables on hand. Why not take advantage of buying those fruits that will provide you with the sweetness and the crunch you crave? Buy fruits that are in season so you won’t pay a premium price for them. Apples, grapes, oranges, and other fruits are important for a healthy diet whether you’re trying to lose weight or not. Avocados are another great choice.
- Dried fruit can be a great snacking option for those trying to lose weight. Raisins, Craisins (dried cranberries), and other dried fruits will give you the feeling of eating something forbidden and yet they can be enjoyed in moderation. As with any food, if you eat too much of it you can ruin any dieting attempt.
- Potato chip alternatives. If one of your weaknesses is potato chips, there’s a healthy alternative that’s easy, convenient, and will give you a satisfying crunch.
- Baby carrots or carrot sticks
- Celery sticks
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
Sometimes crunchy vegetables won’t meet your needs when you’re craving chips! You may want the salt and the crusty crunch that celery sticks just won’t satisfy.
- Whole wheat pretzels might do the trick.
- Dip your pretzel in peanut butter for additional taste and to bolster your metabolism.
When you get home from the grocery store, wash and cut up the vegetables into handy snack sizes so they’ll be easy to grab when you’re seeking a quick snack.
- Nuts and seeds are additional healthy snacks you can eat when you’re trying to lose weight. They’re full of nutrients your body needs, and can be great choices. Be careful when eating nuts and seeds, however, as they’re high in fat content and eating too many could blow your diet for the day.
- Popcorn can be a great snack for someone trying to lose weight. The trick is to eat light popcorn or air popped popcorn rather than adding butter or other toppings to it.
Choosing healthy snacks rather than those laden with fat and calories will make losing weight much easier. When you feel like you need a snack, don’t deprive yourself. Choose wisely and you’ll feel great and still lose weight!